Sunday, December 9, 2012

From horror to... hope in whom?

God sometimes works in mysterious ways.  I recently read an article that broke me.

Imagine a bucket slowly filling with water... drip by little drip.  As the bucket fills the water eventually starts to bulge at the rim.  The "skin" of the water somehow miraculously lets the water fill above what the bucket should actually hold.  Suddenly, one more little drop is all it takes to overflow.  Just that one drop.  In reality it's the equal combination of all the drops up to that point causing the overflow.  It just appears it was only that final one that did it.  Well, I'm not sure what the end result will ultimately be, but this most recent article was the "last drip" into my bucket.

First, before reading much further here, I would highly encourage you take the time to read this article.  It is a lengthy article but I think it is time well spent.  Consider it an investment.  I can't guarantee any return on that investment but would consider it well worth the risk. 

Here is the link - From Horror to Hope  (I think there will also be a video on that page in the future after their TV show airs).

I don't intend to dive into all the details of the story here, although I find them very interesting.  I also don't intend to dive into all the pieces related to forced begging, debt bondage, modern slavery, or human trafficking.  I highly encourage you fully educate yourself on these topics.  I have found it to be valuable, eye opening, and life changing.  That is not the primary purpose of this post however.

First, my heart was torn while reading the story.  I find the evil acts horrifying.  Although I'm not entirely surprised by how gruesome they are it does not change the fact that it is equally disturbing each time you hear something like it.  The innocence of a young boy being destroyed like that brings about anger.  It's hard to describe.  The pure torment it must bring upon the parents is unbearable to think about.  What a horrifying story. 

As the story unfolds there are some twists and turn that bring about hope.  To see their hope ebb and flow throughout the story certainly created a few tears.  The willingness of Aram Kovach, a businessman, to proactively reach out and offer help is encouraging.  Given the mess in the beginning of the story you might think there could be no positive outcome.  In the end you are left with enough positive to continue to hope for the best.  Hope...  what would we do without hope?

Throughout the story you hear a few references to the parents praying to Allah.  Not much detail is given or discussed about the role of religion in their lives and the impact on their story. 

As a believer in Christ I felt like something significant was missing in this story.  I'm not suggesting that something was intentionally left out.  I am saying that it is sad to see a family going through so much pain and looking for true healing without being introduced to the true healer.  Christ has offered so much to this family and has asked that his followers share this with them.  It's sad that it doesn't appear to have happend.  I realize the article may not share every detail of their lives, but from what I've read it appears this is missing.  Another piece of the story that brings tears to my eyes.  How will they ever hear this message?

There was a point in the story where this really hit home for me.  The father, Abed, asks Kovach why he would do this for his family (flying them to the US for special surgery and specialized assistance).  I believe the response was honest and genuine but I felt something was missing.  Kovach at first says it's because he loves them and that because he hopes someone would do the same for him if he was in need (on a side note, true love, and the best kind, is done with no expectation of having the same done in return).  Kovach then goes on to say "It's just what we do.  It's just what we do as human beings."  First, let me say that I admire the initiative of Kovach and think he should be recognized for his efforts.  I do believe he loved this family and had a genuine heart...   but, what an empty response!  If you're this family could this be any more confusing?  If you put your faith in "It's just what we do as human beings" then you will only lose hope.  What about the "human beings" who caused this harm in the first place?  They might argue "It's just what we do as human beings!"  Again, I understand the sentiment and intention of the statement.  I don't intend to pick on the response or even suggest that he should've said something different.  I just find it hard to put my faith in humans when you see the havock that has been wreacked in our world throughout history.

My observation as a reader however is that is so sad to have an empty and possibly confusing response like that.  My heart ached so badly and I wanted to insert myself into that position and be able to say that it is only because of the love that Christ has shown to us.  His example of giving his life for us is overflowing to them.  It is his love that offers them a safe place and the healing they are seeking.  But as I read the story it never happened.  I wished and wanted to to share this truth with them.  They NEED to hear it so badly.

This was that last extra drip.  How often does this story play out in our world?  I'm sure it happens in millions of different iterations all the time.  Forced begging by children is commonplace in some parts of our world.  Debt bondage is a major issue.  Sex slavery of young girls is rampant in more places that you can imagine.  Human trafficking is recognized as a major global problem.  How many times will someone need help like this boy needed help?  How many more stories will the story of Christ be a missing piece?  Far too many is the answer.  There will be far too many stories where a boy is crying out for help.   There will be far too many stories where a young girl will need someone to love them.   There will be far too many stories where a child will need help but wonder WHY anyone would ever even consider helping them.  Are they even worth it?   The answer is a resounding YES!!  They are worth it!  There is a beautiful answer to that question of "why?".  Christ loves them with an infinite and pure love.  He wants to wrap his arms around them and let them experience true healing.  One of the most practical ways he does that in our world today is through his "hands" and his "feet"...  ME (us) (His Chruch)!!!!

I'm not sure what it means for me now, but this last drip in the bucket is too much for me to keep from overflowing.  I pray for all those in the world who have experienced life's truest horrors at the hands of other humans.  I pray that someone will enter their lives and share the story of Christ.  How will God answer that prayer?  Will it be you?  Will it be me?  They need to be rescued; they need to know the love of Christ.

"Learn to do good.  Seek justice.  Help the oppressed.  Defedn the cause of the orphans. Fight for the rights of widows."   Isaiah 1:17
 

No comments:

Post a Comment