Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Greatest Story

Four thousand, eight hundred and eight days.  A lot can happen in that time, and a lot did.  It began on September 20th, 1980.  To be precise it began at 8:23am Central Standard Time.  It ended on November 18th, 1993, the actual hour has long been forgotten but the moment has not.  That was the day my old life passed away.  That same day marks the begining of my new life.  What an amazing day!

I was born in Springfield, Missouri.  From as early as I can remember my parents loved me.  They taught me invaluable truths about life that have shaped who I am to this day.  The most important truth they taught me was who God was and that he loved me personally, and that he loved me enough to send his Son to the earth.  His Son would die, paying the price that I owed.  That His Son, Jesus, would then raise again from the dead. 

The only problem was that although I could recite the details of that story, and I did many times, I missed the most important piece.  I was missing myself in the story!  That Jesus died for the whole world, which includes Josh Grayum.  Although I could thoroughly explain the penalty for those who didn't accept God's payment for their sins, I was missing the fact taht I hadn't personally accepted it myself.

In November of 1993, I remember sitting in my room at home.  I specifically remember doing some school work at my desk.  I remember the desk, I also remember the cheap veneer that was peeling in several places exposing the bare wood beneath.  The bare wood wasn't entirely visible however, due to the constant doodling that had occured.  It was while I was sitting there that something clicked... not related to the school work, but related to one of the most important pieces of information I knew.  It was in that moment I knew I had missed it.  I had missed myself in the story, the greatest story of all time.

It don't recall if it was that same day or not, but sometime shortly thereafter I had an opportunity to talk to my Father about it.  I'm so thankful for the strong relationship with my parents.  What a blessing to be comfortable enough to talk with my parents like that.  It was November 18th, after a piano lesson, my father was the teacher, that I mentioned my concern.  God's timing is always perfect, but it's kind of scary to look back and realize that during that 30 minute piano lesson, had my life on earth ended, I would've missed spending all of eternity in God's holy presence.

My father and I reviewed some of the key passages in Scripture that easily outline the Gospel, the Good News, great news!  I remember specifically reviewing some verses in Romans.  Without delay I had the opportunity to cry out to God in prayer and accept that awesome gift of eternal salvation.

It was at that moment that the old man, the man I was, died.  It took a whole four thousand, eight hundred and eight days to get to that point, but it couldn't come soon enough.  The death was anything but painful.  In fact it was the best feeling, a feeling of passing from death to true life.

Since that time my life has been full of stories, all kinds of stories.  One thing has been certain and sure however, that the story of God's redemption plan, his payment of sins, and his offer of salvation includes me in the story. 

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift!!!!

If you want to know more about this gift from God, and how you can be part of this story that you were meant to be part of you can view this link - "A Gift For You"

No comments:

Post a Comment