Thursday, February 9, 2012

Why so hard?

Just something I've pondered before...  Why is it so hard to know truth, or more precisely what the truth is?

I suppose in the end, the "why" question may not matter that much.  It is what it is, as "they" say (we all know why "they" is, right?).  BUT, that doesn't stop me from pondering the question, and sometimes wishing that it it isn't what it is.

I believe there is absolute truth.  I believe that truth can be known.  That's where the simplicity ends.  How do I know what the truth is?  If I think I know something to be certain, but you have good reasons for believeing in an alternate certainty on the same topic, which is true?

From a slightly more practical, and a little less philosophical perspective.  Why has God made Christianity so hard?  Why didn't he create a world where the truths of the Bible were all perfectly clear and indisputable?  Would that do away with human freedom?  What if the truths were all perfectly clear but out of ignorance you could still choose to believe something not true?

Is the purpose of making us work to find the truth so that we actually apply some effort?  Does the fact that we have to pursue the truth make it more valuable to us?  Is the purpose so that once we find what we believe to be the truth that we still have to excercise some faith in the fact that it is really the truth? 

Is it healthy to always have an honest recognition that things I believe to be true may not be true?  Is that where faith comes in?  The need to simply seek the truth, believe what I find, and trust God to cover the gap with the rest?

Anyway, I'm not proposing that my question is entirely clear, or that it entirely matters.   Still something I've asked many times.... when you boil it all down...  why is it so hard?  God, could you make it easier?  Could you just let me know the truth with 100% certainty?   Could you remove the conflicts that exist because of the differences of opinion?  Could you make it easier so that we don't have to "waste" time disputing what is true and what is not?  Could you just give clear guidelines on every issue in life so I just know what to do?

Thank God for the grace that he provides to get me through!

No comments:

Post a Comment