Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mere Christianity

I recently finished reading one of my favorite books; Mere Christianity.  Even the title is great.  The only problem with me writing about it, being one of my favorite books, is that I don’t feel I can do it any justice.  I could write something on each chapter alone.  I just thoroughly enjoy his writing style.  It comes across as heartfelt, honest, articulate, fair, thought out, and simple.

Originally prepared as short pieces for radio, it is an easy read with relatively short chapters and succinct thoughts on sometimes complicated issues.  It is divided into four “books”: 1) Right And Wrong As A Clue To the Meaning Of The Universe  2) What Christians Believe  3) Christian Behavior  4) Beyond Personality: Or First Steps In The Doctrine Of The Trinity.  Although each has it’s own flavor based on the topic at hand and each are enjoyable, my favorite is the first book.  I find his insight on how he presents the idea of “The Law of Human Nature” is awesome.  It gets my thoughts stirring on the topic as well.  Where do those cross cultural principles of life really come from? He does a great job keeping the topic simple, but yet being very thorough.  

Probably one of the reasons I enjoy C. S. Lewis as an author so much is not because I entirely agree with all his thoughts and conclusions, although many of them I do agree with.  I mostly enjoy him because I find that I like to think the same way he does, but he just does a phenomenal job at putting those thoughts in writing.  If you get the chance to read this book, I would recommend you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment