Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Red Badge of Courage

I think I read this book when I was younger but I didn't remember much about it other than the setting being the United States Civil War.  Simply put, I'm glad I picked it back up. 

Stephen Crane has such a descriptive way of writing.  I thoroughly enjoy how he addresses the up and down swings in the experience of human emotions.  Sometimes the despair brings us to the very edge of our lives, and in the same life story we are brought to the pinnacle of a joyful experience. 

Specifically with the red badge of courage you see the main character, Henry Fleming, experience this swing.  You see the terror he experiences in the face of battle, the absolute despair after deserting his army brothers, the extreme anxiety that he would be found out, and the discouragement and death all around him.  You then see the exhileration as he again engages in battle alongside those he had previous deserted, the adrenaline flowing as he risked his life on the field of battle, the relief when the fighting subsides.  I cannot imagine what it would've been like to fight in the civil war.  The absolute chaos, the bravery, the fear, the sweat, tears, and blood.  The loss of friends, on both sides, the devastation left behind.  It's literally hard to imagine and I'm sure I don't do it justice in my thoughts.  This book helps bring a little bit of the reality to the forefront by providing a realistic, although limited, perspective of one persons experience.  If you haven't read it, I would recommend it.

The book I read also had a few other pieces of short fiction by Stephen Crane.  The writing style was consistent.  The three stories were "The Open Boat", "The Veteran", and "The Men In The Storm".  Each had their own intriguing pieces of a story that lead to reflection on real life.  A few quotes:

The Open Boat - "It is, perhaps, plausible that a man in this situation, impressed with the unconcern of the universe, should see the innumerable flaws of his life, and have them taste wickedly in his mind, and wish for another chance .  A distinction between right and wrong seems absurdly clear to him, then, in this ne ignorance of the grave-edge, and he understands that if he were given another opportunity he would mend his conduct and his words, and be better and brighter during an introduction or at a tea."

The Veteran - "I thought they were all shooting at me.  Yes, sir, I thought every man in the other army was aiming at me in particular, and only me.  And it seemed so darned unreasonable , you know.  I wanted to explain to 'em what an almight good fellow I was, because I thought then they might quit all trying to hit me.  But I couldn't explain , and they kept on being unreasonable -- blim! -- blam! -- bang! So I run!"

No comments:

Post a Comment