Thursday, November 15, 2012

Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

So, I'm really behind in updating on my reading.  I guess it's better now than never.  The fact that I read this book about 6-7 months ago will probably impact the level of detail in this review.  Oh well, here goes!

After attending a business planning session at my job the Senior Vice President in our region gave us all a book to read.  I figured that was good enough reason to start reading it. 

Overall I thought it was a good book.  I didn't find it overly compelling but I think that had more to do with the fact that my mind was elsewhere.  Again, the only reason I was really reading the book is because it was given to me.

What I liked most about the book was the real life stories from major corporations.  Both success stories and failures were intriguing.  Knowing they were real examples makes them more impactful and helpful.  The success stories are inspiring because you know they were real people making real decisions with real impacts;  something that I could do myself.

They boiled the concept of "execution" down to a few simple processes.  The people process, the strategy process, and the operations process.  If you want the details then you'll just have to read the book I guess.

If you are a leader in a business where getting things done is of the utmost importance you'd probably find this book valuable.  Overall it's an easy read with some practical application.

No comments:

Post a Comment