Friday, November 23, 2012

Instructing a Child's Heart

Raising kids... what a responsibility.  It has been filled with a lot of joy and amazing memories, but at times it can be scary.  I'm so thankful for God's grace and the fact that I can trust their lives to Him.

This book was given to me from my Mother on Christmas.  I think they did a great job as parents so I took it as a good recommendation.  It's kind of a follow up book to Shepherding a Child's Heart which I red last year. 

Overall I thought it was a good book.  Although I didn't find the writing style exhilerating I thought it was instructive overall.  I felt it mostly applies to children who are older than mine although the principles still apply at all ages.  It really focuses on the importance of instructing your children in the right ways to live their lives.  Rather than just focusing on discipline also focus on teaching them the principles of life.  The importance of really getting to the heart of your children's behavior was discussed in various pieces of the book.  That is really the part that I remember the most.  Asking your children "why" when possible is a valuable exercise.

This review has not done the book justice but it's actually been several months since I read it and I'm just now writing about it.  That's about the level of detail I remember at this time.

One thing I do believe for sure is that it's worth having a flexible plan for how to raise your children based on God's principles.  If you just let things happen before you know it you will be down a path you may have never intended to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment