Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Great Divorce

This book was on my list, as many C.S. Lewis books are, and I saw it for real cheap at a used book store.  It looked to be a nice easy read heading into the holiday season so I bought it.  Glad that I did.

I didn't really know much about this book before I picked it up.  The sub-title was "A fantastic bus ride from hell to heaven - a round trip for some but not for others".   Interesting to say the least.

It was a very creative first person short story.  The basic idea is that people in Hell (not the typical fire filled place you hear about) get on a bus ride to visit Heaven (not the typical streets of gold you hear about).  From there the experience is described vividly and creatively.  Observations of various people are described.  Interactions between those in heaven and hell are the focal point.  The perspectives are elaborated on and are very interesting. 

In the end, the focus isn't on realistic or truly biblical descriptions of heaven or hell.  The interactions and insight into the lives of those from hell and from heaven will cause you think about how you view certain things in your life.  Attitudes and opinions you may have will likely be challenged somewhat.

It's not an overly complex book with deep challenges.  It's a pretty short and easy read.  The creative writing of C.S. Lewis is always enjoyable (in my opinion).  Glad I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment