Sunday, January 6, 2013

Velvet Elvis

I knew before I even read this book that I would find it interesting.  I also already had a pre-formed opinion on Rob Bell and his ideas.  I feel my review either has to be short and brief or extensive and address many various points.  For now, it will be the brief version (i.e. the easy version).

For me it comes down to a few things.  I believe some of the basic ideas Rob Bell proposes have value to them.  Some of the finder details he hints around and how he presents those ideas I feel lead to more problems than good.  It seems like he believes in absolute truth sometimes but there are other times where the way he presents an idea seems to lead to a wishy-washy foundation.  Even if he were to defend that and say he does believe in that absolute truth I would argue that he should present that more clearly.  Leaving that up for interpretation causes issues in my opinion.  Although they may only be example topics he uses he picks on a few foundational issues and opens them up in a way that seems irresponsible to me.  I am completely fine with always seeking the actual truth and being open to the fact that our original interpretation may have been wrong.  I think you have to start with a clear belief however that there is one true interpretation and from there our responsibility is to try and find that.  It's not entirely clear to me that Rob Bell would believe that.  It seems more that he might believe those truths could evolve over time. 

I could go topic by topic and do a more in depth review but I don't really have the time right now.  I think a mature Christian could find some value in the challenges presented.  I think an immature or confused Christian might run into more problems than good.  For that reason I wouldn't recommend this book broadly.  Rob Bell does have a unique and inviting way of writing.  He does appear authentic and thoughtful.  I just feel the nature of the questions he asks and how he asks them is sometimes irresponsible.  I know there are many different opinions on Rob Bell and I could probably formulate mine further but I don't feel that's really necessary (at least at this time).  I just pray that those influenced by his ministry would be grounded in the truth of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment