Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Frankenstein

I just finished reading "Frankenstein".  An early 1800s novel, sometimes credited as being the first science fiction novel, was written by Mary Shelley.  I didn't know much about the story other than short TV clips which always showed the green monster with bolts on the side of his head coming to life.  The book itself is actually something quite different.  I also thought that the monsters name was "Frankenstein", but that is incorrect.  The monster doesn't really have a name.  Victor Frankenstein is the name of the monster's creator.  Shelley wrote the novel after a dream she had when her and some friends decided to have a contest to see who could write the best horror novel. 

As you might expect, it is a pretty dark novel, although very well written.  I sometimes awe at how creative an author can be and how much knowledge they must have.  It starts wit the initial obsession by Frankenstein to create life, the sad troubles and rejection the monster experienced when meeting with human society, the death that followed, the virtual insanity of Frankestein, and all ending in death.  There is little happiness in the story but there are valuable lessons, discussion points, and points for motivation.

First, and quite obvious, is how thankful I am that God is a perfect creator.  The mess that an imperfect Frankenstein created was disgusting and resulted in the murders of his closest loved ones. 

My favorite part of the book was the middle section where the monster elaborated on his first memories of coming to life.  What his first experience with human kind was.  How he silently observed a family for quite some time which taught him many things from how humans interact, family relationships, language, and education.  It was interesting seeing his desire to truly find love and acceptance.  It really intrigued me to think about what it would be like to come to life already middle aged and being able to remember those experiences.  I liked this quote from the monster; "One day when I was oppressed by cold, I found a fire which had been left by some wandering beggars, and was overcome with delight at the warmth I experienced from it. In my joy I thrust my hand into the live embers , but quickly drew it out again with a cry of pain.  How strange, I thought, that the same cause should produce such opposite effects!"  Imagine if we learned everything about life after our reasoning and logic skills were fully developed!?

You actually end up having quite a bit of sympathy for the monster.  In the end, Frankenstein refuses to provide a partner for the monster leaving him utterly alone and in despair.  This sparks a killing spree, and in the end the desire for revenge by Frankenstein drives him to his own death.  The monster in the end is left alone which drives him to his own death as well.  I found my heart desiring the reconciliation that seemed so possible but never came.

Overall I enjoyed the book and the story.  The points above are only a snipet of the thoughts it sparked for me.   Although it is dark and gloomy, and wouldn't serve for great inspirational reading, I did find many thought provoking topics that in the end were an encouragement to me.  Don't read this book to feel good, but otherwise it's worth the time.  You can also see how it shaped many novels and movies in the years following.

No comments:

Post a Comment