Tuesday, November 27, 2012

No Easy Day

I typically enjoy books like this one was reported to be, and this one was no different.  I caught wind of it before it was released.  I certainly wasn't the only one though as it was embroiled in some controvery prior to the release.  Supposedly the Pentagon was upset they weren't given a better opportunity to "scrub" the book for confidential material.  The author and co-author were insistent that there were no issues.  All in all it ended up being a nice promotional campaign.  It worked for me and I bought it very shortly after it was released.

It is a first person account of a Navy SEAL, some of his training, career experience, and ultimately ending with the raid of Osama Bin Laden's compound resulting in his death.  All in all I enjoyed the book.  It was not the best book I've read in this genre however (that title belongs to "Lone Survivor").  Although still compelling and enjoyable I found the first half of the book the be pretty typical of a Navy SEAL recount of their training and early career.  To be clear, I am impressed every time I read of their level of committment and sacrifice.  The same is true after reading this book.  I was initially surprised how long it took to get to the raid on the compound.  I was eager to hear that story by the time I got there.

The recount of the raid was exceptional.  It is a compelling story on it's own, and then when you put it in the context of it's importance to world history it was even better.  Nothing entirely confidential was revealed but there were plenty of details that were good to hear from someone who was there.  A pretty easy read overall and can be read in just a few days most likely.  I am thankful for the sacrifice that these soliders not only gave during that raid, but the sacrifice of their entire life; before, during, and after.

If you think you would enjoy this type of story most likely you would when reading this book.  Maybe not the best or most enthralling  you've read but still worth the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment